Sunday, October 10, 2010

It Gets Better - Stop the hate, stop the bullying!

I would like to dedicate today's submission to something rather important. Now, I do know this was a call to action for youtube.com and if I could get my video camera to work properly, I would be doing an actual video to this response. But sadly, I won't be able to do so. Nonetheless, I feel this is something that should be shared- regardless of it's medium. 


My message is directed at any and all who are thinking about suicide...or just needs a little comfort. This is not just for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgenders- this is for everyone. Our GLBT children aren't the only ones killing themselves, this transcends all boundaries. Religion, skin color, hell...our children are being tortured at school about the money the parents make or just about how they look! Hateful words breed hate. Pure and simple.
 
It gets better.  


I was raised to hardcore Republican parents in the bible-belt in the southern states of the US. I always felt different about religion, but wasn't knowledgeable about gays and transgenders. When kids used their typical hateful terminology, I was confused as to what the hell they were talking about...


When I was in 7th grade, I fell in love with my female best friend whose mother was a well-known televangelist. It was revolutionary because I knew that this is how I was born and I began to love the person I was turning into. Needless to say, I was scared to admit to her how I felt and never acted on my desires to confess my love for her. 

I was lucky to have never been physically intimated at school because I had blended so well into their little perfect world but I do understand and have been at the end of taunts and hurtful comments. But it makes you stronger. You take all that hate they throw at you and build a shield from it. No one can hurt you unless you let them. 

We all need someone to help support us...and we all have support, even if we don't think it. There are hotlines, people on the internet, groups, family, friends...these people who will accept you are out there. You just have to be strong and do what is best for you. Suicide isn't the answer. You are ending everything that you could have, your dreams, and taking away your future husband or wife's perfect person.


Since my high school nightmare, I have come out to my family and friends...and you know what? They got over it. They cried, they said I disgusted them, I was told to not talk to them again....and they got over it. Sure, it hurts when those you love deny you. But it makes you stronger, just have faith in yourself and find those who are like minded to help support you. 

I love you all.
Ivy


LBBT Youth: If you or someone you know is contemplating suicide, please visit this website. Here you can find guidance and someone to talk to. Any conversations are completely confidential.
http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
1-866-488-7386

No comments:

Post a Comment